Monday, March 15, 2010

Athens post #5 - The Acropolis!

I'm so sorry that it has taken me so long to finally get the rest of these pictures processed and up! No excuses - beautiful weather has kept me from the computer and I made marmalade this afternoon while the girls were sleeping instead of working on the pictures - but here they are and there's really not too much to say. I think they speak for themselves although I'll give you some captions - enjoy!
The first view you have of the front of the Acropolis:
The back of the Propylaia - or entrance gate to the Acropolis - we walked through this to get inside:
This is as close as you can get to the Temple of Athena Nike - still restoring it!
Our first glimpse of the Parthenon:
The frieze - these are casts of the original carvings but we saw the actual ones in the New Acropolis Museum!
Us in front of the Parthenon:
Emmy!
Aidan!
The back of the Parthenon:
Heading over to the Erechtheion - you can see the famous Caryatid columns on the left side of the photo:
Columns in the Erechtheion:
the side of the Erechtheion - look how huge the columns are compared to Brendan and the kids!
Back side of the Erechtheion:
Caryatid columns of the Erechtheion:
I can't begin to explain how fascinating and exciting this visit was for me! Brendan and I both took many Greek Art and Archeology classes at Tufts. It's so amazing to stand in front of these beautiful buildings that I thought I would only ever see in photographs. I feel so lucky!!

5 comments:

T.M. said...

Amazing. The kids may not fully appreciate now but will treasure these pictures later especially if you can convince them to take Greek Art and Archaeology one day.
And I am still totally jealous and determined to get there sooner or later! ;)

The Antonios said...

OMG I am so jealous. Your pictures are amazing. What a great adventure for all of you.

Sue said...

Spectacular! Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures. How ever did they build those tall columns??

Lydia said...

I'm not jealous. I'm not jealous. I'm not jealous. Ok. Maybe just a teeny bit jealous.
xo, Lydia

Matthew, Eve, Noah, Noelle, and Brooke said...

how wonderful!!! Love the pics of the kids in front of the Parthenon!